S.M.A.R.T. is a 3 in 1 programme that integrates math with co-operative and semi competitive games in a fun interesting manner. Arts and Crafts as well as educational toys and games are used to round out a programme that is both cost effective and educationally sound.
S.M.A.R.T. consists of two week blocks that culminate with a Gym-Math-Ticks event incorporating the math and physical skills covered in a mini-Olympic style format. Parents have described our 'Sound Math in a Sound Body' approach as "sliding education in through the side door."
Physical Skills Component
- We focus on skill development through drills, co-operative and lead-up games.
- Soccer: dribbling/ball control, kicking, passing & receiving, trapping, throw ins, one vs one play, goal/corner/free kicks.
- Volleyball: serving, passing (set/bump), ball reception, footing and court movement.
- Basketball: dribbling, passing, shooting, lay-ups, side & end plays.
- Baseball: throwing, catching, base running, infield/outfield play.
- Lead up Games: dribble octopus, scooter polo, dodgeball, etc.
Arts & Crafts Component
- Tie Dye
- Clay & Plasticine
- Face Painting
- Papier Mache
- Drawing/Cut & Paste
Math Skills Component
- Place Value: Express and order 3, 4, 5 & 6 digit numbers. Arithmetic: Hand's on activities and rote learning of arithmetic facts.
- Estimations & Measurements: Length, perimeter, area & volume.
- Geometry: Recognize, name, visualize and distinguish between shapes and solids. Create and continue geometric and number patterns. Experiment with tangrams.
- Surveys/Graphs: Administer and tally surveys. Construct and interpret bar, line and pictographs.
- Problem Solving Strategies: Through reasoning, perceptual and strategy games.
*Please contact the camp office or check its web site for further details (schedules, fees, registration, etc) or the latest updates.